The holidays are over and we are all back into our normal routines. For some, the new year may have brought on new fitness goals to accomplish in 2019. For myself, I have my first marathon on the schedule as well as my third sprint triathlon. From my experience, everyone is always excited at the first of the year and sign up for multiple races or competitions. However, with the cold and snowy weather and lack of sunshine it can be difficult to keep oneself motivated. Here are my top 2 tips for staying active through the winter (I only included two, because really, you don’t need anymore):
- Get an accountability partner (or group!)
Before winter even started I was in a “workout rut”. I was still exercising regularly but didn’t truly enjoy it anymore. On a whim, I decided to sign up for Fleet Feet’s Speed Camp. Over the summer, I ran the monthly Pub Runs, but other than that, I never participated in any programs or free run groups through the store. I was nervous and didn’t know anyone. But the group ended up being great! We pushed each other and cheered each other on! I met a few people, joined a running Facebook group called Rockstar Runners, and even signed up for the Winter Warrior Challenge through the store! As I continue to attend the group runs, I meet people and have a new running buddy to talk with each time. They always say “See you next time?” –which is even better accountability! Putting myself out there and finding a group of people who have the same motivation has been awesome! It has been great to meet people of all running abilities and ages. As I continue to participate and attend group runs around the city, I ‘run’ into people that I know! It’s so cool to be apart of a supportive running community. So my point is…go outside of your comfort zone, find an activity you enjoy and find an accountability partner! This makes workouts not dreadful but a time to catch up, meet new people, and encourage each other. Or if it’s someone not in the same city, find a way to motivate each other through texting, a Facebook group or GoogleDocs! (PS Kristen and I are obsessed with GoogleDocs haha)
2. Try something new!
My second tip is to try a new activity! Here are a few workout activities that I have done or on my list for 2019.
- Have you ever tried rock climbing? There are always coupons to our local climbing center; so we made it a date night! Luckily, my boyfriend used to be really into climbing and was able to help me out. But the staff there was great and answered any questions we had. Not going to lie, it was scary at first and it takes a lot of critical thinking. But it was fun and man was I sore the next day!
- When I first moved to Buffalo, my friends and I went snowshoeing! We bundled up and found a local nature preserve that rents out snowshoes. The snow on the tree was so pretty and the area was peaceful. Snowshoeing uses different muscles than walking so it was a fun activity with friends and didn’t seem like working out!
- Yoga with Adrienne. This one is actually on my list for 2019. I enjoy going to Love in Motion yoga classes but find it hard to make the time. I have heard a lot of good things about this famous YouTuber and it looks as if she has videos for all lengths of time and abilities!
- Ice Skating: Whether it is an outdoor, city ice rink or open hours at the community center, ice skating is a fun way to get your heart racing and have a few laughs along the way. With fitness classes reaching $20 per session, ice skating can be a cheaper way to try something new!
Did I give you any inspiration? I hope so! Comment below on ways you are going to stay active throughout the winter!
Just keep running, Kaitlyn