Turmeric is a popular spice that is known for its bright yellow color. Nicknamed “Indian saffron,” due to being grown in India and throughout Central America. The spice is a staple in many curry & rice dishes, however, if you have been in a grocery store lately, chances are you have seen this spice make bars, teas, and even drinks more golden in color. I even walked into my local coffee shop in Knoxville, TN and had a Golden Milk Latte. A creamy latte flavored with this bright, yellow spice.
With the growing popularity of this spice, here are my top reasons to incorporate turmeric into your life:
- Reduce Inflammation! Curcumin, the active ingredient found in turmeric, has been shown to decrease inflammation when used by the turmeric root, turmeric extract, or as a dietary supplement. (Using the ground spice in cooking is less likely to have an impact on inflammation.) The Arthritis Foundation has found using 3 grams a day of turmeric root or 400 – 600 mg found in a capsule may help ease the pain.
- Improve Cholesterol! A study found in in individuals overweight, consuming turmeric extract had improved their lipid profiles!
- Boost your Mood! 56 individuals were studied in 2014 by taking 500mg of cur curcumin extract along with their treatment had found a reduction of depression.
- Support your Local Feminist @ Diaspora Co.! Yes you can purchase your turmeric literally anywhere. However, turmeric is naturally grown in India. Therefore, why not purchase it where it thrives?! My sister’s friend, Sana Javeri Kadri created one of the most beautiful sites where you can purchase your turmeric in glass jars to maintain freshness, support real Indian spice farmers, find delicious recipes, and support an amazing cause of helping women. You can purchase turmeric here! Best part is it was lab tested to have 4.7% more curcumin content, the active ingredient to help fight inflammation, then your local store brand.
- Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease? Continual research is being completed on if curcumin can prevent plaque buildup which can stop neuron damage on the brain. This will benefit multiple treatment plans in the future & help in the prevention of this disease.
If you have never tried this spice, I highly encourage you to. Not only will it brighten up your dish (if you scrambled eggs couldn’t get any brighter…. well they can, it’s called a pinch of turmeric!) it may also improve your health & wellbeing. So please, try it & support a farmer. 🙂
Turmeric Pickled Onions
adapted from Cooking with Gold
– 2 medium yellow onions, pealed and sliced like thin moons
-1 cup water
-1/2 teaspoon sugar
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
-1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
-1 bay leaf
-2 cloves garlic smashed
-1 small dried chili
-1 tablespoon picketing spice
– bring 1 cup of water to boil
– once boiled, dissolve sugar, salt, and vinegar into the water
-lower heat and add: turmeric, bay leaf, garlic, and dried chili. simmer for 1 minute
-pack the onions into a quart jar and slowly pour the picking mixture over onions
– store in the refrigerator, onions should be done in about 30 minutes
– top on tacos, burritos, salads, egg sandwiches, anything!!!
Bottom Line: This spice has been cooked, used in rituals, and studied for over 4,000 years. Chances are you have an health condition, turmeric has been studied to improve your quality of life. But with any supplement please check with your Dietitian / Doctor / Health professional to ensure you will not have any drug interactions!