Those of you that are lovers of Dwight – sorry this is not a blog post about the best show, it is actually about something better: BEETS!
Beets are easily my favorite vegetable. You can roast them, boil them, eat them raw, drink as a juice or incorporate them into your diet by a powder! (Has anybody tried Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow Beet Oatmeal?!) If you are skeptical into trying beets here are Cinnamon’s top reasons to incorporate this beautiful vegetable into your diet:
- Beets are a great natural source of dietary nitrates. This means it increases the stimulation of nitric oxide when consumed. Nitric oxide helps regulate blood flow and oxygen consumption. (Meaning: you can workout longer & harder without feeling out of breath!) If you are an endurance athlete, this can increase your performance by 1.5%! You should consume 2 – 3 hours before your workout/race or depending on your ability to digest beets.
- Contains the antioxidant: Glutathione! This powerful antioxidant is capable of stopping many oxidative damage done in our body due to stress, exercise, pollution, and natural reactions.
- A great source of Betaine! Like glutathione, it has high protection properties which helps protect your liver and kidney function.
- Lastly Beets contain vitamin C and iron. All needed to create collagen! Which if you read from one of our previous posts- is important for skin and muscle formation.
How to choose the best beet:
Beet’s are in season starting early fall and grown throughout winter. If you are lucky enough to visit your local farmers market I highly suggest you to buy them there. They will be fresh and may still have their stems on them (which you can sauté for a very delicious side). The stems also are a good indicator of freshness. If the stems are starting to wilt that indicates they are older and pass their prime. Additionally, select beets that are heavy for their size without any nicks.
Refrigerate in a tightly sealed bag!
As I stated previously, you can eat this vegetable in a multiple of ways. However my favorite is by roasting them!
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Peel the beets and cube into 1″ pieces or slice them
- Toss the beets in olive oil and add any of your favorite spices (salt, pepper, thyme, etc)
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake 20 – 30 minutes
With the roasted beets- feel free to add to salads or add to a side dish. Or you can use them in your hash :)!
Other ways you can enjoy this vegetable is:
- Enjoying them in juice
- Pickling – a great healthy snack!
- Enjoy them raw in a slaw!
- Blend with chickpeas for a beautiful hummus!
- Take 1 can of chickpeas + 1 roasted beet with 1 clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of tahini, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of olive oil for a colorful delicious dip!
- In Red Velvet Cake beets can be used as the natural sugar! How fun!
Stay Up-Beet with Spice Girls Nutrition! 🙂