Every morning my coworkers joke about me bringing my “nest” to work. I often get questions like “What is that?” – or – “Do you have a boiled egg in your oats?” The answer now is, this is my nest! And no, it’s not a boiled egg. During training for my first half marathon, I was working on increasing protein in my post-running meals, which for me, always meant *breakfast* (I am a morning person). A colleague suggested that I bake an egg into my morning microwaved oatmeal. My initial reaction was: that is disgusting! But let me tell you… now I’m a believer too. I am always willing to try things ONCE… and guess what?! THIS TIME IT WAS GREAT! So now, it’s a go-to breakfast that’s part of my regular routine.
The oatmeal itself comes out very similar to a baked oatmeal dish that you would prepare in the oven. It’s thicker than oatmeal make with just water, but can easily be thinned out by adding more liquid. Most importantly, you can’t taste the egg that’s baked in!
So here’s the recipe for my SPICE Nest (AKA: Microwave Baked Oatmeal in a Jar)
- ½ cup oats
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup water, milk, or nutmilk
- Fruits / Nuts / Seeds
- Spices to taste
- Combine oats with chosen fruits / nuts / seeds and most importantly: SPICES of choice in a glass jar.
- Scramble egg and pour into oat mixture.
- Add water or milk and stir until evenly combined.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove jar and stir oatmeal.
- Continue to microwave for 30 more seconds, stirring every 15 seconds. Time may vary depending on your microwave.